Friday, August 26, 2011

D42:Steering Rack Mount and Lower A-Arm Mount



I'm eager to get this project to the "roller" stage, so I'm going to start working on control arm mounts and steering rack mounts. If you remember from a few months ago, I was going to use the donor front cross member but then decided against it. Here is the new solution to that.

Using a piece of square 2" tubing, I'm going to mount the steering rack to the front and then use the ends as the front lower control arm mounts (more to come on this). The second pic is the progress so far with the top steering rack mounts fixed. A couple of design comments about this approach. First, the control arm mounts will be at the exact same width and position (looking from the front) as the pivot points on the steering rack. This allows me to mount the upper a-arms anywhere without having to worry about steering rack width and positioning which can lead to bump steer and number of other issues. I'll try to post a diagram to represent this at some point. Second, it allows me to use the donor rack without any mods to the rack or the front uprights.

In case you were curious what the original front sub frame looked like in comparison to the new one, it's in the second pic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print