Sunday, March 11, 2012

D85-86: Frame Supports & Ride the Rockies

It's been a while since I've posted, mostly because it's been a while since I've worked on the car. Partly the weather and partly because I got into Ride the Rockies.

Ride the Rockies is a Colorado bike (bicycle) ride through the Rocky Mountains. The route changes every year, but this year it's 6 days, 442 miles, from Gunnison, CO to Ft. Collins, CO. What does this have to do with building a locost? Well, riding 442 miles takes some serious training which means I have and will be spending an increasingly greater amount of my free time on my bike instead of in the garage. I still plan on continuing the build, but it'll likely be at a slower pace than usual.

This weekend, I found myself motivated to get this frame finished. I've past my one year anniversary and I'm still working on the frame. I know everyone says it takes the majority of the build time, but I had NO idea it would take this long. With a few free hours I got almost all of the remainder frame supports cut and tacked into place. The two picks are the rear bulkhead behind the seats and the side of the frame (both sides are finished).

5 comments:

  1. Hey,

    Hope you dont slow down too much as i have been enjoying (AKA borrowing ideas) from your build.
    I am also building a 318IS Locost on a custom frame. Link (Note you must be signed into the forum to view): http://www.ozclubbies.com.au/index.php?/topic/3383-taffys-tf7i-build/

    Good luck with the training!

    cheers,
    Taffy
    Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, couldn't seem to get to your build log(even after creating a profile). But, looks like you're working on some body work which is where I'm heading next. Thanks for the motivation. Glad to hear some of my ideas where worth borrowing. Now if I can get to your build log maybe I can repay the compliment.

      Dan

      Delete
  2. Hey Dan, hmm not sure why that didnt work.
    Some photos can be seen here: http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f116/ftaffy1/TF7I%20build%20album/

    The big thing i borrowed was the pedal box raised section, working well so far. Though my accelerator pedal was floor mounted in the BMW so will need to fab a new one.
    Will (hopefully you dont mind!) also be borrowing your steering extension idea, just having some trouble finding a wrecked older 5 series as i keep finding them with the newer AL lower sections.
    Also eying off your raised engine mounts, i had my engine a couple of weeks ago and found i needed to raise the mounts by ~70mm to get sump clearance.

    Keep up the good work.

    Cheers,
    Taffy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey,

      Turns out I needed to have my account validated to view your build... I'm just impatient.

      The gas pedal was floor mounted in mine as well, but attaches to a spring mechanism on the firewall. I'm going to try to fab something close to the original.

      I had similar issues with the height of the engine... either it hangs low or sticks up high. I opted for sticking up high. My frame is already taller and I'm going to need about 9inches of clearance above the frame for the hood to clear.

      Looking forward to checking out your build log.

      Dan

      Delete
  3. hey im another doing the same build with a 316i
    still way back at making chasis stage atm
    i will be reading both your pages with much interest
    im looking at putting the whole rear assembly into my car tho
    http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/suspension/
    and making that mount right to the locost chassis dont have a web page up as yet because i havnt had time

    i am keeping a close on on your blog tho keep up the good work

    also if possible could i have some in depth shots and or plans of your front wishbones i will give you a million internet dollars
    email is gtee45@yahoo.com.au

    ReplyDelete

Print