Wednesday, April 4, 2012

D88-90: Firewall v2 + Unpowered Brakes

I haven't had a chance to post from the last few days in the garage, so here's a quick update. I've wanted to redo the upper firewall for the driver side since the first one went in. Here is my second go around. I think it turned out much cleaner. I also moved the mount for the steering shaft up a little bit to simplify the final weld and move the steering u-joint away from the engine mount.
After removing the brake booster, the master cylinder sat a little close to the firewall. I build a "shim" to move it out by about 3/8".
Here is the new firewall with everything attached. I'm so much happier with the way this version turned out.
With the brake booster removed, I had to shorten the push rod from the pedal to the master cylinder. Here is the shortened version.
Below is the brake pedal with the new push rod installed. Now I just need to figure out how to make sure that the brake pedal doesn't swing back and the push rod come out. This was all held in place by brake booster before. Oh, and I hope that I don't need that booster. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print