Thursday, July 5, 2012

D98: Shifter & Engine Bay Bracing

I finally got around to working on the shift linkage. I've been wanting to get this done for while, or at least try it out to see if the design would work. I realized after the first engine fit that the shift linkage was too short and needed to be moved further back. Here is what I've got so far. I cut the original linkage and extended it by about 4 inches. The new shift lever uses a couple pieces of 3/4" .120 wall DOM tubing with a 1/2" bolt to hold them together. The pivot is a 3/4" heim joint.
One thing I like about this design is that I can adjust how short the "throw" is by unscrewing the bolt to change the motion ration.

I also got around to adding some extra bracing to the engine bay. The top pic is a removable brace that goes over the transmission tunnel. This makes it much easier to get the engine in and out. The bottom pic is the brace on the drivers side of the engine bay. I also added one to the passenger side as well.

1 comment:

  1. I might have to copy the extended shifter idea. I am finding it will be hard to select reverse (top left which for me will longest reach) without leaning forward.
    Like the idea of a removable brace. I might also copy that for the bottom under diff.
    For the top i pushed it back ~70mm from memory to clear the bell housing.

    Cheers,
    Taffy

    ReplyDelete

Print