Tuesday, August 7, 2012

D102-104: Gas Tank D2-4

This past weekend I had a few good days in the garage... ending in one bad afternoon. I got the bottom of the tank welded and cleaned up. Took several fills to get all the pin holes filled. But, not it holds a little over 13 gallons without dripping. I also added a center baffle to help minimize sloshing.

With the bottom almost done, I started working on the top. I started by cutting the holes for the two pumps. Then made the metal rings that will hold the pumps. I didn't have a great template for a 4-3/4" hole + a jig saw to cut the holes... you can probably see where this is going.
I had to "patch" around the ring off one because the hole wasn't round. Figured I could weld it and clean it up with a grinder later.

Then the bad afternoon. I started welding the rings and the patches on the bottom (inside) first. Then realized... a lot of heat + 18 gauge sheet equals the pic below.

This afternoon, I started the top over. Starting with a compass to stencil out the holes and make them a little rounder. I also added the holes for the fill spout and the vent hose. My plan this time for welding is two big changes. First, attach the top to the tank first to keep it from warping too badly. Second, take the welding slow and allow everything to cool between passes.

2 comments:

  1. Following your progress with a great amount of detail, have you trial fitted the pumps/seals yet?

    cheers,
    Taffy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've trial fitted one. It's snug. I also plan on having a disc bolted to the top to hold it all together. I'll post a pic the next time. Oh, and one thing to keep in mind is how short the tank has to be to use the stock pumps. Makes for a wider tank which is fine if you have the space.

      Delete

Print