Friday, April 22, 2011

D28:Spindle Adapter D2



Today I started working on the new upper a-arm mount. I'm planning on fabricating an adapter that bolts to the spindles that I can bolt an upper ball joint to. I picked up a new 'milling' vice for my drill press along with a 1/2" end mill. I figured this would be helpful for this project. I also picked up a piece of scrap 3/4" steel plate to cut all the necessary pieces. This is the same thickness as most of the mounts on the original spindle.

I learned a few things today. I do not have the best tools to cut 3/4" steel plate. Drop saw doesn't work. Sawzall doesn't work. Hacksaw works, but is WAY TOO SLOW (and too much work). So... it was about 15mins per cut with a cutting wheel on a grinder. Not the prettiest cuts... but it worked. I burned through a 4 1/2" disc PER 7" cut. I used the end mill to try to clean up the cut edge. Turns out an end mill in a drill press doesn't work that great. The table is not sturdy enough. So, lots of learning experiences today... but making progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print