Monday, April 25, 2011

D31:Spindle Adapter D5



Today, I decided to stop trying to re-invent the wheel. Why am I trying to bend 1/8" plate when someone has already done this? I picked up a piece of 1 1/2" square 1/8" tube to use for the lower bracket. With this, I could just cut the tube to the shape I needed and not have to worry about the bends. I think the final result looks much cleaner than the original attempt. I also picked up a piece of 1/2" x 3/4" rod to replace the pieces of 3/4" plate I had cut. It's much easier to just cut this new rod to length instead of trying to cut off pieces of that plate. I've also got photos of the upper mounts pictured. My only concern now is that my welder only handles a max of about 3/16" - 1/4" max penetration. I'm not that confident that it's enough (with my skills) to hold the upper ball joint mount to the rest of the adapter. So, I'm planning on adding some additional supports from the vertical bar to the top mount. I'll post a pic when it's done to show what I'm actually doing here. But... 1 down, 1 more to go, then it's a-arm time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print