Monday, November 21, 2011

D59:Pedal Mounting D4

The first thing on the to do list today was finishing off the frame mods to add the lower support for the pedal firewall. Below is the rest of the frame added for the bottom. It's also at about 15 degrees. The rest of the framing to add material for welding hasn't been added yet, but I ended up adding that extra sheet all the way around the frame.
With the firewall frame finished and the firewall tacked in, next up was getting the top mount for the pedal assembly mount. Below, a new cross bar with a mount can be seen in the top right.
With the clutch and brake pedal in, I needed to figure out the steering column positioning. It took some time to decide if I wanted to use the factory method/mount to pass the steering column through the firewall. This involves using the original gas pedal assembly which combines a plastic bushing to pass hold the front end of the steering column.

Using the factory brake booster and pedal assembly limits the options for the steering column a little as it would be pretty hard to pass the steering column between the pedals in the center of the pedal box. This leaves mounting the steering column at an angle... which until I starting working on this part of the car I didn't realize that my M3 is setup the same way. How could I drive a car for 5 years and not realize the steering wheel wasn't first, centered on the drivers seat, and second, wasn't pointing straight out of the dash.
I decided to use the original gas pedal assembly. Below is the the original firewall mounted on 1/2" square tubing as supports. I'll fill in the empty parts before finally welding the mount into the frame.
...and the mount above with the factory gas pedal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print