Tuesday, November 22, 2011

D60:Pedal Mounting D5 + Steering Column Install D1

Below is the gas pedal mount from D4 tacked in with the gas pedal assembly installed. This also shows the outer bushing case that will hold the steering column.
With all three pedals in, the steering column mounting is underway along with figuring out steering linkage from the column to the rack. Here is a view of the pedal box with the steering column "installed".
I needed to cut one last hole through the firewall to pass the steering column through. As you can see below... I should have measured twice. Instead I cut the hole in the wrong spot and resorted to using a pair of tin snips to ugly up the hole, but remove enough material to give the column enough clearance. When I pull everything out to paint the frame, I'll work on making that hole a little cleaner.
One of the next items on the list is to figure out the extra linkage needed to connect the steering column to the rack. The issue I'm running into is that BMW doesn't exactly use commonly available steering parts. Some investigation is definitely needed to get this designed and built out.
Last item completed today was getting the clutch line installed. One big advantage to using the factory parts is I can take the original clutch line and with a little bending get it in and installed. This took all of 10 minutes tops. Now I wish I hadn't broken the bleeder fitting off in the clutch slave cylinder the last time I got the engine installed in the frame. Now I have to get a new slave cylinder before the clutch can be crossed off the to do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print