Wednesday, December 7, 2011

D61:Seat Mounting 2 and Steering Column Disassembly

With the pedals in and working on the placement for the steering column I realized how high I sat in the frame with the seat mounted the way it was. I figured I could remount the seat to floor level dropping it almost an inch from where it was originally. An inch didn't seem like much until I was done and realized how different of a feel it was.

Below are the new brackets. The seat will mount directly to these brackets instead of sitting on a bolt on top of the crossbar. I still need to drill the holes for the mounting bolts, but the second pic gives a pretty good idea of how the seat frame will sit on these new mounts along with the original bolt mount.



Below is all four mounts installed in the frame.


Next up was disassembling the steering column. During the mounting of the column I realized it was a little short. My plan is to add about four inches to the length. I plan on cutting both the column and the outer tube to add in the additional length for each. The hard part will be getting all the right size tube stock to actually accomplish this.


The last picture is of the ignition housing removed from the column. BMW uses these bolts with no heads to attach the housing to the column for theft prevention. These required grinding a notch into each and then using a screwdriver and a pair of pliers to get it apart.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Print