Wednesday, December 28, 2011

D68: Lower A-Arm D2

The second day working on the lower a-arm started out with a new design. Attach the tubes directly to the ball joint sleeve. This required some grinding to get all the necessary notches into the tubes. I needed something to easily hold a tube while I could grind it down.

The tube holder device thingy.

The front tube and ball joint sleeve mocked up.

The finished product installed.

Both sides finished. One with a ball joint installed.

Lower a-arm with spindle installed.
I am much happier with the second iteration of the a-arm design.

A quick note here. Use a threaded rode when mocking up the bushing sleeves before tacking them in place. This will ensure they are straight and won't bind with travel. I thought I had a decent jig setup until I installed the arm on the frame with the rear mount loose and realized the mount moved when rotating the arm. Turns out the bushing sleeves weren't in line.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print