Sunday, December 11, 2011

D62:Steering Linkage and Steering Column Mods

I got some today to work on the steering linkage that I need to complete the gap between the donor parts. The plan was to shorten all the parts that I bought yesterday at the junk yard to make a new piece of linkage.

The first step was shortening the outer sleeve to the extension shaft. I cut about 6 inches out of the middle.


The two ends where then welded together. My original plan was to incorporate one of the giubos (flex disc) into the new linkage. This plan required shortening both outer sleeves and then bolting them together using the giubo.


Step two was to cut and shorten the inner rod. I needed this end as short as possible since I still needed to fit the other half into a 12 inch space. I also needed a length of tube to mount a bushing to hold the linkage in place.


The two ends butted up together just before welding them together.


The final product of the first half. It's about as short as possible with as many pieces as I was trying to incorporate.


I haven't made a final decision, but after getting the first half of the new linkage together I was thinking it might be easier to simplify the solution by eliminating the giubo. Below is a pic of the second option. It is definitely a simpler solution. I need to do some research, but I'm assuming the only thing I'm losing by eliminating the giubo from the steering linkage is a little extra vibration in the wheel.


I plan on mounting a bushing to the control arm upright to fix the position of the new linkage. The entire linkage can be seen below from the rack to the steering column. It's not "straight" or pretty, but it'll get the job done.


Next up for the day was lengthening the steering column. Below you the steering column cut and the extra tube that will be added between. The extra tube is actually a piece of one of the outer sleeves from the extension above. It was a bit too big to fit inside the column, so a little grinding took just enough off for a snug fit. Glad I didn't have to go find a 6 inch piece of tube in some drop pile at a steel yard.


Below is the the new steering wheel placement with the extra 3 inches of column length added. This will give much more space for the indicator switch, ignition, etc. It also feels much more comfortable while sitting in the car with the wheel a little closer. The next step is adding the 3 inches to the outer column tube.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Print