Monday, December 26, 2011

D66:Frame Rear End D2

I had some time today to work on the rear end of the frame again. I now have most of it done. It turned out to be a little more complicated than I had originally thought because the width of the frame is 48" which means that some of the rear tires will be within the frame. This is going to make mounting the body panels and fenders a little more challenging as well.

The first step today was mounting one of the rear wheels. I had to see how much the frame would overlap the tire and then make sure that the tire had a full range of motion without bumping into any of the frame. All the while, I was thinking about about extra supports to strengthen everything, how to mount the shock and spring and how to mount the fender as well.

Below is the clearance between the rear wheel and the back of the frame. It's just enough to give the wheel full range of motion without contact.
One of the changes I had to make was shrinking the 3" radius rear corner down to a 1" radius. This allows for a little more clearance for the rear wheel. I'm sure this will come back to bite me at me when I'm installing body panels... but, that'll be a problem for another day.
Finally, a picture of the entire rear end. The nice thing about this design is that it isn't load bearing. This allows me to skimp on extra supports.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print