Sunday, January 15, 2012

D78: Steering Column + Radiator Mounts D2

Today I worked first on finishing up the steering column extension, and then the radiator mounts. I welded a 3" extension between the two pieces of the steering column I had a few weeks back. The hardest part of this was getting all three pieces aligned so that the steering shaft inside wouldn't bind. The extension is fully welded around both ends along with a couple of plug welds.
Column outer sleeve to add 3" to column.

The next step here is going to be finalizing the placement of the steering column and wheel and getting the last bit of mounting in place to hold it all together. Also, since I moved the steering rack back while getting the front suspension figured out, I also need to modify the linkage between the rack and the column. I'm going to wait to finish this until I have the engine back in, just to make sure there is plenty of clearance.
Steering column mocked up.

Next up today was the radiator mounts which I started yesterday. The BMW radiator has two rubber plugs along the sides which sit in cups in the frame. The top is held in via removable arms that fit into a couple of slots. Below are a couple of pictures of the radiator in place. I love that the radiator doesn't hang out in front of the frame allowing me to build a nose that is "shorter". Also, I can install it upright meaning I get the best performance out of the radiator over installing it at an angle.
Radiator front.
Radiator side.

Below is one of the "cups" that I've added which the bottom rubber plugs will sit in. Obviously there is a lot of finishing work to be done here before I can consider these done. But functionally, they work, which I'm pretty pleased about.
Radiator mount close-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print