Monday, January 30, 2012

D81: Steering Rack and Column Updates

With the newly redesigned front suspension I needed new mounts for the steering rack. Below is the design for the new mounts. From the previous post, I knew how high above the lower control arm pivot I wanted the center of the rack to be and from the original design I knew how far in front of the front cross bar I wanted the rack to be. Thus, the design below.
Below is one of the two mounts for the steering rack that will attach to the front cross member.
Both mounts tacked onto the front cross member and the steering rack in place.
The new design I have for the steering column required a few mods to the firewall. The first was installing a firewall mount for the steering column. I replaced part of the firewall with this 1"x2" piece of tubing.
With the firewall mount in place, I wanted to make sure the the column cleared the brake booster. From the pick below, there is plenty of space.
The new steering column connected to the steering rack. Getting rid of the extra piece of linkage makes for a clean install. I also think it'll be a safer/stronger design.
The last pic is the steering column next to the pedal assembly. The new column will come almost directly out at the driver instead of the previous design where the column was at an angle. Again, a cleaner design.

2 comments:

  1. The steering column arrangement looks good Dan, I will have to see if i can pull this off on my car! Else i will be making a middle spindle (double ended spline thing) out of two E36 columns cut down like you had to start with.

    Thanks again for trialing ideas and providing the answer :). Very helpful.

    Will hopefully finish my fuel tank in the next week or so, only need to do the finishing touches.

    cheers,
    Taffy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing the fuel tank. I'm holding off until I see what you did. I also want to use the stock pumps/sending units. So it'll be a nice help.

      Delete

Print